Under-promise, Over-deliver. A staple to any marketing course, this phrase will stand the test of time. With ecommerce growing very rapidly, companies need to start exceeding customer expectations to stay ahead of their competition. There are certain things that customers expect from all online retailers:
- Timely delivery
- Exactly what they ordered
- Easy communication with customer service
- Ability to return their order, hassle-free
- Confirmation of their order
These are just some of the big expectations that customers have, but there are many. Even free shipping is starting to be expected by customers. In order to not fall behind competition, ecommerce stores must deliver on these expectations.
But in order to stay AHEAD of competition, companies need to exceed expectations. Some simple ways that companies are exceeding customer expectations include:
- Partial refund for overestimated shipping costs.
- Personalized order confirmation emails (recommended products, discount on their next purchase for being a loyal customer, etc.).
- Follow up emails, making sure the customer is satisfied.
- Memorable unboxing experience. Customers love posting videos of their unboxing experience, and Casper does a great job exceeding expectations.
There are many ways to exceed expectations, but it all depends on what your company is selling. Find unique ways to over-deliver on your customer’s expectations, and you will increase loyalty and generate more sales.